International Affairs and Strategy Analysis Department
Basic tasks of the Department are as follows:
- defending Latvia’s position in working groups of the European Commission, European Council, international organizations, and multilateral international negotiations;
- coordination and elaboration of documents for Latvia’s representation in EU institutions, i.e. national positions, instructions and other documents related to EU matters;
- coordination and organization of Latvia’s participation, i.e. preparation of Latvia’s positions and instructions for participation in the EU Council (Agriculture and Fisheries), Special Committee on Agriculture and COREPER in the area of ministry’s competence;
- preparation for the Latvian Presidency of the Council of the EU in the area of ministry’s competence;
- promoting international cooperation, including representation of the position at international commissions, as well as organization of visits of the Ministry’s high-level officials and foreign official delegations;
- representation of Latvia’s interests in UN Food and Agriculture Organization;
- monitoring and coordination of international projects;
- drawing up and coordination of strategic and programming documents of the Ministry and its subordinate institutions;
- coordination of educational and research matters.
The Ministry of Agriculture is represented by attaches and councillors in the EU (i.e agriculture, food, veterinary, phytosanitary, forestry and fisheries), in Food and Agricultural Organization, World Trade Organization and the Russian Federation.